Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer.   Maurice Hewson Wilkinson studied engineering at Trinity College, Dublin, receiving the Licentiate in Civil Engineering in 1864.(1)  He may then have worked for the Dublin & Drogheda Railway Co.  A design by him for a bridge over the railway for the Barnageragh road, near Swords, was sold at auction in Dublin in 2009.(2)  He may subsequently have gone to India, where a Maurice H. Wilkinson was active in masonic circles in Hyderabad in the 1870s and 1880s and 'held ...a very prominent position in Chadarghaut Society, being the Secretary to the Nizam's Government in the D.P.W. [Department of Public Works] and the leading member of the racing community'.(2)


(1) R.C. Cox, compiler, Trinity College School of Engineering: 'Graduates' in Engineering 1843-1992 (1993), unpaginated.
(2) Mealy's Auctioneers, Rare Book Sale, 8 Dec 2009, Lot 444.
(2) J.D.B. Gribble, History of Freemasonry in Hyderabad (Deccan) (1910), 215. There is a portrait photograph of Wilkinson facing p. 118.