WILTON, JOSEPH *#
- Born: 1722 Died: 1803
Sculptor, of London, for whom see Rupert Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851 (revised edition, ), 434-437. A statue of the William Pitt, first Earl of Chatham, by Wilton, costing £500, was erected in the Mansion House, Cork, on 23 December 1767.(1) For the mausoleum at Dartrey, Co. Monaghan, he executed a marble funerary group commemorating Lady Anne Fermor, wife of Thomas Dawson, who died in 1769, which was erected in 1774.(2) Between 1768 and 1773, Wilton, under the direction of WILLIAM CHAMBERS , was also involved in producing decorative pieces for the Earl of Charlemont, all as yet untraced.(3)
(1) Francis H. Tuckey, The County and City of Cork Remembrancer (Cork, 1837), 150. The statue is now in the Crawford Municipal School of Art, Cork.
(2) Homan Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (UAHS, 1975), 88, Pls. 53,54.
(3) Potterton, op. cit., 87.