Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

County surveyor for Co. Down, 1920-1945. James Gilbert Wilkin, who was born in Co. Tyrone(1) on 10 June 1887, graduated in engineering from Queen's University, Belfast, in 1910. He entered the office of the Co. Down county surveyor JAMES HERON  JAMES HERON as an assistant in 1907 and had risen to the position of chief assistant by 1917. When Heron retired in 1920, Wilkin became acting county surveyor; he was appointed to the permanent post, which was advertised as carrying emoluments of £1,500 and the use of a motor car,(2) in May 1921. He retired in 1945 and died on 29 January 1958.

Address:  7 Easton Crescent, Clifton, Belfast, 1911.


All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 326. An obituary of Wilkin (not seen) is in Inst.CE Proceedings 10 (No.4), 604.

(1) 1911 Census, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001430639/ (last visited Mar 2009).
(2) Irish Times, 16 Oct 1920 (information from Brendan O'Donoghue, 2015).