Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Civil engineer. George Allman Armstrong appears to have been the son of the Rev. George Allman Armstrong (1815-1889), minister of the Unitarian church on St Stephen's Green, Dublin. He graduated BAI from Trinity College, Dublin, in 1873(1) and then spent a one-year apprenticeship with JAMES PRICE JAMES PRICE , engineer-in-chief of the Midland Great Western Railway; he was resident engineer on the Edenderry branch of the railway until its opening in 1876. His next appointment was as a district engineer of the Great Northern Railway, a post which he still held in 1880.

Later Armstrong moved to Co. Cork. He was architect to the Baltimore, Co. Cork, extension railway in from 1893 or earlier until 1915 or later,(2) and was working with the Timoleague and Courtmacsherry Light Railway Company from 1896 or earlier until at least 1913. He may be the the 'Mr Armstrong, BE' who was engineer to Bandon District Council in 1903.(4)

ICEI: elected member, 1880; no longer in membership list for June 1917.

Addresses: 8 Leeson Park, Dublin, 1880; Ardnacarrig, Bandon, Co. Cork, 1915.(5)


All information in ths entry not otherwise accounted for is from the membership lists in TICEI.

(1) R.C. Cox, compiler, Trinity College School of Engineering: 'Graduates' in Engineering 1843-1992 (1993), unpaginated.
(2) Guy's Cork Directory for 1893, 1915.
(3) TICEI 12 (1876-1879), 119.
(4) IB 45, 2 Jul 1903, 1836.
(5) Guy's Cork Directory, 1915.