WILLSON, FREDERICK RICHARD THOMAS
- Born: 1848ca Died: -
County surveyor for Cos. Westmeath, 1874-1876, and Fermanagh, 1876-1898. Frederick Willson, a son of the Rev. Frederick Willson, was born in Co. Longford circa 1848. He entered Trinity College, Dublin, in May 1867, when he was nineteen, graduating with the BA and BAI degrees in 1873. On graduating he was employed by the Board of Public Works until 1874. In June 1874 he sat the county surveyorship examination and gained first place. He was appointed county surveyor for Co. Westmeath in August 1874 in succession to JOSEPH HENRY MOORE . Two years later, as a result of threats received in the course of carrying out his duties, he asked to be transferred to the county surveyorship of Co. Fermanagh, left vacant by the transfer Of WILLIAM HENRY DEANE to Co. Kerry. He remained in Co. Fermanagh until 1898, when he retired on grounds of ill-health. He was succeeded by JAMES PARSONS BURKITT.
ICEI: elected member, 1874.
Incorporated Association of Municipal and County Engineers: member.(1)
GLFI: member of Lodge 225 (Dublin); admitted as candidate for Royal Arch Chapter 225, 14 June 1875.(2)
Addresses: 5 Charleston, Terrace, Rathmines, 1875;(3) Prospect, Enniskillen, <=1887-1898.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 327, which see for a fuller account of Willson's career, from ICEI membership applications, II, 15, and ICEI membership lists.
(1) Proceedings of the Association of Municipal & County Engineers 21 (1895-95), list of members.
(2) Records of Lodge 225 in GLFI archives.
(3) See note 2, above.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for WILLSON, FREDERICK RICHARD THOMAS
|Building:||CO. FERMANAGH, DRUMAIN, BRIDGE|
|Nature:||New bridge with 2 30-ft-span arches replacing old bridge which fell in 1857|
|Refs:||F.R.T. Willson, 'County Works in Ireland', TICEI 17 (1887), 153-155, Fig.8|
|Building:||CO. WESTMEATH, DRUMCREE HOUSE|
|Nature:||Proposed offices by 'Frederick Wilson' possibly by FRTW. (There was also an English architect named Frederick Wilson (1827-1894) who worked from Alnwick, Northumberland.)|
|Refs:||Undated ground- and first-floor plans signed by Frederick Wilson in NLI, AD 3546,3547|
|Willson, Frederick Richard Thomas||'County works in Ireland'||1886||TICEI 17 (1887), 144.|