WILLIAMSON, THOMAS FRANCIS
- Born: 1898/99 Died: 1997/1998?
Architect with the Office of Public Works from 1933 or earlier until 1964. According to the 1911 census, Thomas Francis Williamson, eldest son of Thomas Williamson, architect and surveyor, of 1 St Anthony's Road, Dublin, and his wife, Frances Margaret, was born in Co. Dublin in 1898 or 1899. He entered the service of the Office of Public Works and was posted to the district office in Castlebar, Co. Mayo, from 1933 to 1935, after which he returned to Dublin. He was an assistant principal architect at the time of his retirement in 1964. He was still living in 1997 but may have died in that year or the following one, when his name disappears from the membership lists of the RIAI. By this time he had been alive for nearly a century.
The Irish Architectural Archive holds the measured drawings of St Catherine's church, Dublin, which gained Williamson the Downes Bronze Medal in 1924 (Acc. 92/21). This 'excellent series of measured drawings', which formerly hung in the vestry of the church, was noted in H.A. Wheeler & M.J. Craig, The Dublin City Churches (1948), 17.
AAI: elected member, 1920; winner of Downes Bronze Medal for session 1923-24; hon. secretary, 1923-1925; ceased membership, 1938.
RIAI: student, 1923; elected member, 1925; raised to fellow, 1960.
Addresses: Work: District Office of Public Works, Castlebar, Co. Mayo, 1933-1935; Office of Public Works, Dublin, 1935-1964
Home: 1 St Anthony's Road, Dublin, <=1911-1924; 17 Rialto Terrace, Kilmainham, 1925-1933; Saleen Lodge, Castlebar, Co. Mayo, 1934; Saleen, 15 Whitehall Road, Terenure, Dublin, <=1964-88; 1 Rostrevor Road, Rathgar, 1989 onwards.