WILLIAMS, JOHN HUGH
- Born: 1877 Died: 1955
Architect with the Office of Public Works. John Williams, was born in Wales on 24 March 1877.(1) He had joined the staff of the Office of Public Works as an assistant surveyor of buildings by 1907, at which time he was based in Mullingar. By 1915 he had been transferred to Waterford where he remained until 1932, when he was placed in charge of the district office at Portlaoise, Co. Leix. He retired in the early to mid-1940s. After his retirement, he continued to live in Portlaoise, practising privately as an architect. He died in 1955.(2) According to his obituary in the RIAI Year Book, he 'had great musical gifts which were much in demand'.
RIAI: elected member, 1924.(3)
Addresses:(4) Work: 25 William Street, Waterford, <=1926-1932; District Office of Public Works, Portlaoise, 1932->=1941.
Home: Ballinderry, Mullingar, Westmeath, 1911; Maglena, Portlaoise, <=1946 until death.
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from the obituary of Williams in RIAI Year Book (1956-57), 36, and Thom's directories.
(1) Jones transcript from OPW records; 1911 census of Ireland, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (last visited Nov 2009).
(2) RIAI Year Book (1957), 43.
(3) Irish Times, 18 Dec 1924; JRIAI (1925), 6.
(4) From RIAI membership lists.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for WILLIAMS, JOHN HUGH
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, GRAIGUE, NATIONAL SCHOOL|
|Nature:||New. Builder: John E. Cribbon.|
|Refs:||IB 84, 14 Mar 1942, 110|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, CROUGHCLOONEY, NATIONAL SCHOOL|
|Nature:||New. Builder: John E. Cribbons.|
|Refs:||IB 84, 14 Mar 1942, 111|