Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect with the Board of Public Works from 1904 until 1924. John Howard Wigg, who, according to the English census returns of 1881, was the second son of Charles Wigg, jewel broker of Camberwell, Surrey, was born in Camberwell on 18 February 1876.(1) He entered the service of the Irish Board of Works on 2 August 1904 as an assistant surveyor (second class).(2) He was based in Cork from 1907 or earlier until 1911 and then transferred to Belfast, where he remained until at least 1917. He was in Dublin in the early 1920s but  ceased working for the Board under the provisions of Article 10 of the Treaty between Great Britain and Ireland and was living in London by the beginning of 1925.  He was one of two previous employees if the Board who challenged the amount of the pensions and bonuses they had been awarded on retirement.(3)

AAI: elected member, 1904; ceased membership, 1914.
RIAI: elected member 1922;(4) ceased membership, 1933.(5)


All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Thom's directories and RIAI and AAI membership lists.

(1) Jones transcripts from Board of Works records.
(2) See note 1, above.
(3) Irish Times, 30 Feb 1925.
(4) JRIAI (1923), 4.
(5) No address is given for him from 1926 onwards.