- Born: - Died: -
Architect and/or builder, of Knox's Street, Sligo, listed as such in Pigot & Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824). It is not clear whether the various appearances of an architect or builder named William Warren between the 1790s and he 1830s all relate to one man. A William Warren was admitted to the Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 6 February 1794;(1) another was a subscriber to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (1819).
Atkinson, writing in the early 1830s, states that 'an ingenious architect of the name of Warren' was in the process of adding a new front to Spur Royal, Augher, Co. Tyrone, when he visited the house, adding that .'the palace of Clogher,and other conspicuous buildings,were also planned and conducted' by him.(2) Rowan identifies this Warren as William Warren of Sligo and attributes two other works in the vicinity to him on stylistic grounds.(3)
William Warren of Sligo may have been connected to JEREMIAH SEYMOUR. (4)
(1) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Drawing in Architecture admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(2) A. Atkinson, Ireland in the nineteenth century (1833), 333 (information from J.A.K. Dean); the design or construction of Clogher Palace was also claimed by David Henry, q.v.
(3) Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 113-4,119,120.
(4) Letter from Jack Johnston to E. McParland, 18 May 1990 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
4 work entries listed in chronological order for WARREN, WILLIAM
|Building:||CO. TYRONE, AUGHER, SPUR ROYAL (ALIAS AUGHER CASTLE)|
|Nature:||Addition of new castellated house in front of old tower, for Sir James Mervyn Richardson Bunbury, Bt.|
|Building:||CO. TYRONE, BALLYGAWLEY (NEAR), CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW (CI, ERRIGAL KEEROGUE PARISH)|
|Nature:||New hall & tower church of 3 bays,built near site of old one at cost of £1,000 (Leslie) cf. Lewis who says this 'handsome edifice in the later English style, with an embattled tower' cost £1,300. Dedicated to St Matthew, 7 Sep 1832; 'probably by William Warren of Sligo' (Rowan).|
J.B. Leslie, Armagh Clergy & Parishes (1911), 300; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 120; exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 126.
|Building:||CO. TYRONE, BALLYGAWLEY, CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||New 3-bay battlemented chapel-of-ease, 'possibly by William Warren of Sligo' (Rowan). Consecrated 1832. Cost: £1,000.
|Building:||CO. TYRONE, CLOGHER, BISHOP'S PALACE|
|Nature:||Attributed by Atkinson to 'an ingenious architect of the name of Warren, by whom the palace of Clogher, and other conspicuous buildings, were also planned and conducted' (but see works of David Henry).
A. Atkinson, Ireland in the nineteenth century (London, 1833), 333 (reference from J.A.K. Dean)