Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

County surveyor for Co. Limerick, 1834-36, the western division of Co. Limerick, 1837-1840, Co. Waterford,1840-44, Co. Carlow, 1844-1850, and Co. Monaghan, 1850-54. John Walker was in practice in Co. Carlow as an engineer and surveyor before being appointed one of the original county surveyors in May 1834.(1) He was posted to Co. Limerick, where he also held the position of surveyor for the county of the city of Limerick, but resigned in November 1836 on the grounds of the inadequacy of his salary. His successor WILLIAM HORNE  WILLIAM HORNE was dismissed almost immediately. Then, as Walker had previously proposed, the county was split into two divisions. Walker was given charge of the western division in July 1837. In August 1840 he was moved to Waterford, where he also held the post of city surveyor, in July 1844 to Carlow and in August 1850, after publicly airing his differences with the Co. Carlow Grand Jury, to Monaghan.(2) His dismissal from the Monaghan surveyorship in March 1854 brought an end to a rather unsettled career, and he died within the next two years. He may be the same person as JOHN WALKER [2] . JOHN WALKER [2] .

ICEI: founder member, 1835.(3)

Addresses:(4) Dungarvan, 1842-1844; Craig Hill, Carlow, 1845-1850.



All information in this entry not otherwise referenced is from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 318-320.

(1) Dublin Evening Post, 20 May 1834.
(2) Carlow Sentinel, 10 Aug 1850.
(3) Photocopy of transcript of minutes of first meeting of Engineers' Society of Ireland, 6 Aug 1835, in IAA, Jones File F73.
(4) Jones transcripts from Pettigrew & Oulton's directories, 1842-44, 1846-1848, in Jones file W8. 

1 work entries listed in chronological order for WALKER, JOHN [1]

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1840
Nature: J.W supervised building of same.
Refs: E.McP files, citing Parliamentary Papers 1840 (291) xlviii.165