ARMSTRONG, ALEXANDER JAMES
- Born: - Died: 1852
County surveyor for Co. Cavan, 1834-1852. Alexander Armstrong, second son of Lieut. General Armstrong, 'late RIA',(1) worked as an assistant draughtsman at the Boundary Survey Office in Dublin in 1829-1830 and was subsequently employed by the Board of Works on various projects. He was appointed to the post of county surveyor for Co. Cavan on 17 May 1834.(2) He is described as 'very efficient' in the Anglo-Celt for 8 December 1848. He died in Bath, where he had gone for the sake of his health, on 1 February 1852(3) and was succeeded in the surveyorship by THOMAS TURNER . He was married and had at least one son, Edward James, born circa 1840.
ICEI: founder member, 1835;(4) auditor, 1845.(5)
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 91, which gives the fullest account of Armstrong's career.
(1) Anglo-Celt, 5 Feb 1852.
(2) Dublin Evening Post, 20 May 1834.
(3) See note 1, above.
(4) Photocopy of transcript of minutes of first meeting of Engineers' Society of Ireland, 6 Aug 1835, in IAA, Jones File F73.
(5) TICEI (1844-45), 182.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for ARMSTRONG, ALEXANDER JAMES
Sort by date | Sort alphabetically
|Building:||CO. CAVAN, BELTURBET, KILCONNY BRIDGE|
|Nature:||Limestone bridge of 3 elliptical arches over River Erne by 'Mr Armstrong', in process of being built when seen by Binns. Granted £1,700 from Board of Works, 1835; nearly completed, 1837. Contractor: James F. Johnstone.
3rd Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1835), 16; 5th Annual Report (1837), ?; Jonathan Binns, The Miseries and Beauties of Ireland (1837), II, 306; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 196.