TIPPING, GEORGE R.
- Born: 1838c Died: 1919
Builder, architect, surveyor, and grocer, of Magherafelt, Co. Armagh, and Castledawson, Co. Derry. George Tipping, who was born circa 1838, set up in business as a builder and contractor in his early twenties and was responsible in this capacity for the court house and Union Road Presbyterian Church in Magherafelt and for several Catholic churches in the vicinity.(1) He was engineer to the Magherafelt Board of Guardians for many years and practised privately as an architect and surveyor. He also 'carried on an extensive grocery and general business in Magherafelt'. In 1912 he sued Magherafelt Rural District Council for wrongful dismissal.(2) He died at his daughter's house in Castledawson, Co. Derry, on 11 July 1919 and was buried at Castledawson Presbyterian Church graveyard, in a ceremony attended by many fellow members of masonic lodge 532.
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from the obituary of Tipping in an unidentified Belfast newspaper of 16 Jul 1919 in newspaper cuttings album from RIAI, now in IAA, Acc. 80/51, page 31.
(1) IB 54, 31 Aug 1912, 497.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for TIPPING, GEORGE R.
|Building:||CO. DERRY, MAGHERAFELT, COURT HOUSE (OLD)|
|Nature:||'The courthouse [of 1804] was converted into its present shape by Mr Geo. R. Tipping about the year 1890.'|
|Refs:||C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 90 (quoting from W.H. Maitland, History of Magherafelt (1916)?)|