Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carpenter, of Dublin, active in the 1780s and 1790s. In 1791 the Corporation paid John Smith £27.2s.6d. for repairing the Tholsel,(1) and in 1793-4 employed him to erect a timber building in the Mansion House yard to house the state coach.(2) Smith was one of the three representatives of the Carpenters' Guild on the Common Council of Dublin from 1787 until 1792.(3) He was still active in 1794, and may be the same person as the John Smith, carpenter, of 130 Townsend Street, who is listed in Wilson's Dublin Directory for 1798.  If so he is the 'Smith' of Townsend Street recalled by his fellow tradesmen in 1834 as having employed twenty men and having died well off 'about 1802'.(4)


(1) CARD XIV, 223.
(2) City Treasurer's accounts (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44); CARD XIV, 301,334,379.
(2) CARD XIV, 544,546.
(4) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31.