Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

French-born sculptor, resident in London, for whom see Rupert Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851 (Revised edition, [1968]), 329. In March 1749 a bust of Jonathan Swift by Roubiliac arrived in Dublin.(1) Roubliliac's only full-length Irish work is the statue of Sir Thomas Molyneux (1661-1733), now in Armagh Church of Ireland cathedral. The statue arrived in Dublin in June 1752 and was immediately transported to Castle Dillon, Co. Armagh, the Molyneux country seat, where it was erected in a wood beneath a temporary wooden shelter. The original intention to replace the shelter with a permanent building never materialized; instead the statue was placed in storage in a vault beneath the old house. It was apparently when the old house was replaced by the present one in 1844-45 that the statue was moved to Armagh cathedral.(2)


(1) Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 21-15 Mar 1749.
(2) Homan Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (1975), 75, Fig. 44).

1 work entries listed in chronological order for ROUBILIAC, LOUIS FRANÇOIS *#

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1752
Nature: Statue of Sir Thomas Molyneux (1661-1733) for Sir Capel Molyneux. Arrived Dublin, 1752. Placed in wood at Castle Dillon, Co. Armagh, then moved for storage into basement of old mansion. When this was rebuilt in 1844-45 statue was moved to cathedral.
Refs: Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 9-13 Jun 1752; Homan Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (1975), 75, Fig. 44;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 104, Pl. 64.