- Born: - Died: -
Architect, of Dublin. John Berrell was admitted to the Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 4 December 1779 and again on 7 December 1780. He was awarded the first premium on 22 November 1781 and another premium on 21 November 1782.(1) After working as measurer to the Board of Works, he was appointed assistant architect to the Barrack Department in 1801.(2) In Watson's Almanack for the years 1803-1806, JOHN GIBSON and John Berrell are named as the Department's architects; on 26 November 1807 the Freeman's Journal announced the appointment of Berrell, HENRY BROWNRIGG and JOHN BEHAN to the position. Behan's name disappears after 1817. In 1820 Berrell's name appears on its own and for the last time; from 1821 Brownrigg only is named.(4) A John Berril was a subscriber to Murphy's Batalha, published in 1836. The daughter of a Dublin architect namea 'Berral' married the writer Samuel Lover in 1827.(5)
Address:(6) 6 Lower Pembroke Street, Dublin, 1818-1831.
(1) MS transcript of list of students and prizewinners at Royal Dublin Society School of Architectural Drawing in IAA.
(2) NA/PRO Bolger MSS. 1A/58/128 and NLI MS. 1122 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(3) NA/SPO CSORP 1829/9067 contains statement that 'John Bennett' was architect to the Barrack Board for 25 years (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(4) Wilson's Dublin Directory for 1815,1818,1823-31.
(5) Irish Times, 24 Feb 1897.
(6) From Wilson's Dublin Directory.
3 work entries listed in chronological order for BERRELL, JOHN
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, JERVIS STREET, HOSPITAL (OLD)|
|Nature:||Builder: William Hendy.|
|Refs:||IB 39, 1 Jan 1897, 7|
|Building:||CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, QUEEN STREET, BARRACKS|
|Nature:||S. & d. designs for powder magazine (in barracks of 1790)|
|Refs:||NLI architectural drawings, portfolio 34 (bought at Allen & Townsend auction (of Henry, Mullins & McMahon drawings?), Dublin, 15/16 Dec 1965, Lot 1047).|
|Building:||CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, GUARD HOUSE|
|Refs:||Plan in NLI, A.D. 2670 (bought at Allen & Townsend auction (of Henry, Mullins & McMahon drawings?), Dublin, 15/16 Dec 1965, Lot 1053).|