Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Deputy chairman of the Board of Public Works, Ireland, 1831-1863. John Radcliff, a former Royal Engineer and a veteran of the Peninsular War, had been one of the four Directors of Inland Navigation and a Commissioner for Maintaining Roads and Bridges from 1826(1) until the time of his appointment to the Board. 

ICEI: founder member, 1835;(2)  vice-president, 1845,1847 and president, 1846.(3)

Addresses:(4) 27 Merrion Square South, <=1839->=1863;  70 Morehampton Road, 1869.


Information in this entry is from Frederick O'Dwyer, 'The architecture of the Board of Public Works 1831-1923', Public Works: the architecture of the Office of Public Works 1831-1987 (AAI, 1987), 11, unless otherwise attributed.

(1) Photocopy of transcript of minutes of first meeting of Engineers' Society of Ireland, 6 Aug 1835, in IAA, Jones File F73.
(2) Watson's Almanack (1826), 146.
(3)   Jones transcripts from Thom's directories.
(4) From Post Office and Thom's directories.