Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Timber merchant and builder, of Dublin, whose name appears on a list of Dublin master carpenters compiled in March 1834.(1)   Arthur McKenna, with 'Bergan' and 'Woods', contracted to build RICHARD MORRISON' RICHARD MORRISON' s anatomy house at Trinity College, Dublin, in 1823-24. As security for this undertaking, he deposited £2,000 of government 4% stock with the college board in May 1823.(2) He later took his sons into partnership. The family business, which by 1857 had expanded into additional premises at 51 North Wall Quay, Grand Canal Harbour and 1 & 2 Rainsford Street, ceased trading circa 1860. Apprentices and assistants may have included HENRY STOKES.  HENRY STOKES.

Address: 24 Thomas Street, 1814; 54 Thomas Street, 1815-1817; 23 Thomas Street, 1823-1836; 22 & 23 Thomas Street, <=1839->=1858.


All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Wilson's, Pettigrew & Oulton's Post Office and Thom's directories.

(1) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(2) TCD muniments, MUN/P/2/249, 255.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for MCKENNA, ARTHUR *

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1814
Nature: McK makes plans for same.
Refs: NA/SPO 556/423/31 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44).