WILLIS, EDWIN THOMAS
- Born: 1835ca Died: 1905
Architect and surveyor, of Wexford, active in the 1850s and 1860s. Edwin Thomas Willis, who was born circa 1835,(1) was a son of the Wexford artist John Willis(2) and a grandson of THOMAS WILLIS , whose contracting business he apparently took over. However on 12 June 1861 he placed a notice in the Wexford Independent stating that 'due to the general press of business' he was 'obliged to return the building department to his grandfather, Mr T. Willis', while he would 'continue as Architect and Surveyor'.
Willis married Fanny Collins in Donnybrook church, Dublin, in 1858.(3) The couple had at least one son, who emigrated to the United States. It was at the latter's house in North Clinton Street, Syracuse, New York, that Willis died 'rather suddenly' at the beginning of 1905.(4). The 'late R.J. Willis, Architect' of Wexford, whose son Richard John Willis was married in New York on 18 Jan 1912, was presumably a relative..(5)
Addresses: 11 Rowe Street, Wexford, <=1859->=1861;(6) Henrietta Street, Wexford, 1864.(7)
Information from the Wexford Independent kindly supplied by Conor O'Brien, Annacurra, Co. Wicklow.
(1) Information from Dorothy Drake.
(2) Information from Celestine Rafferty, May 2010; for John Willis see W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 539.
(3) See note 1, above.
(4) Irish Times, 3 Feb 1905.
(5) Irish Times, 10 Feb 1912.
(6) Wexford Independent, 23 Feb 1859,24 Mar 1860,12 Jun 1861.
(7) Wexford Independent, 22 Jun 1864.
3 work entries listed in chronological order for WILLIS, EDWIN THOMAS
|Building:||CO. WEXFORD, FERRYCARRIG, CRIMEA MONUMENT|
|Nature:||FS laid 8 Oct 1857 by Earl of Carlisle. In form of round tower.|
|Refs:||B 15, 10 Oct 1857, 584|
|Building:||CO. WEXFORD, WEXFORD, ANNE STREET (& MAIN STREET NORTH), MECHANICS' INSTITUTE|
|Nature:||New building opposite Anne St with splendid reading room, 33 x 24 ft, museum, library, committee room, caretaker's apartments and spacious hall. Completion delayed by fire at contractor's premises in July. Roofed by 19 Aug 1859. Contractor: Richard Pierce.|
|Refs:||Wexford Independent, 16 Feb,9 Jul,19 Aug 1859 (information from Conor O'Brien, Annacurra, Co. Wicklow)|
|Building:||CO. WEXFORD, WEXFORD, YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION|
|Nature:||New. Builder: J. Redmond. Estimated cost £650.|
|Refs:||DB 3, 15 Mar 1861, 462|