Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carpenter, of Dublin, listed as such in Wilson's Dublin Directory with an address at 8 Digges Street from from 1809 until 1814 and at 19 Whitefriar Street from 1815 until 1824. According to the recollections of his fellow tradesmen, writing in 1834,(1) he had been in good business circa 1800, employing eight men, but then trade had started to decline.  He 'struggled' until his death in 1826, when he was succeeded by his son WILLIAM JONES [4]. WILLIAM JONES [4].

A Samuel Jones was admitted a Freeman of the City of Dublin at Easter 1809 as a member of the Guild of Carpenters by virtue of having served his apprenticeship to a member of the Guild.(2)


(1) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(2) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 71.