Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Bricklayer. Dutch born, although his family orignally came from England, Allen came to Ireland from Holland 'as a factor for the Dutch'.
Described by James Gandon as 'Being very handsome in his person, and possessing great skill in architecture, he was much esteemed, and consulted by the most eminent nobility and gentlemen, in their buildings'.
As well as Jigginstown House, Co. Kildare, he was involved in the execution of minor works in Trinity College, Dublin, for which he was paid in 1636, and also possibly work at Howth Castle.
According to Loeber, before his death he had commenced the foundations of his own house at Mullynahack, outside the walls of Dublin city which was subsequently finished by his son, Joshua, ancestor to the Viscounts Allen of Stillorgan.
He is possibly the same John Allen, bricklayer, who was admitted to the freedom of Dublin 'by fine and special grace', Midsummer 1630.


R. Loeber, A Biographical Dictonary of Architects in Ireland 1600-1720 (1981), 13
Thomas J. Mulvany, The Life of James Gandon (Dublin, 1846), 255-56
Dublin City Council, Libraries and Archive, Ancient Freemen of Dublin database.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for ALLEN, JOHN*# [1]

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: ca 1636
Nature: For Sir Thomas Wentworth (later Earl of Strafford), Lord Deputy of Ireland. Attributed to Allen possibly with some involvement by Wentworth. Described as a 'princely mansion', built of stone from foundation to the first floor, the rest of brick (said to have been brought from Holland), 360 feet in length to the front with 24 windows on the ground floor, and with a square pavilion to each side, higher than the front.
Refs: R. Loeber, Architects in Ireland 1600 - 1720 (London, 1981), 13
Description of building from Thomas J. Mulvany The Life of James Gandon (Dublin, 1846), 255-56