Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Assistant to GEORGE WILKINSON GEORGE WILKINSON , architect to the Poor Law Commissioners for England, Wales and Ireland, from 1843 or earlier . It seems at least possible that Richard Barney was related to Lt. Col. George Barney of the Royal Engineers who wrote the second report on the execution of workhouse contracts in Ireland for the Government in 1845. Richard Barney appears to have succeeded JOHN LEESON  JOHN LEESON as Wilkinson's principal assistant and after Wilkinson's retirement in 1855 stayed on  as first-class clerk to the Poor Law Commissioners until 1873.  From 1874 until 1875 he was first-class clerk to the Local Government Board. He died in 1889.(1)

RIAI: elected fellow by 1870.(2)

Addresses: Home: 21 Mountpleasant Ave Upper, 1849; 20 Richmond Hill, Rathmines Upper, 1851-1852; 13 Garville Avenue, Rathgar, 1863-1888.


All information not otherwise attributed is from Thom's Directories and from the 10th Annual Report of the Poor Law Commissioners (1844) .

(1) RIAI general? Meeting minutes, 14 Dec 1889, 292.
(2) RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, list of members.