Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Builder and quarry owner, of James's Street, Drogheda, active in the 1830s and 1840s. Thomas Hammond built Piltown House, Julianstown, Co. Meath, in 1833.(1) He gave the stone for the building of St Mary's Catholic church in Donore, Co. Meath, circa 1838(2)and perhaps also for the Catholic church at Mornington, Co. Meath, in 1841.(3) He was probably the father of ARTHUR HAMMOND ARTHUR HAMMOND .

A Thomas Hammond is listed as an architect in the classified section of Thom's directories for 1850 and 1851.(4)

Address: James's Street, Drogheda, <=1837(5)->=1845.(6)


(1) Inscription on house(?): '…Thomas Hammond aedificavit AD 1833' (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(2) Drogheda Argus, 12 Jul 1845; Rev. J. Brady, A Short history of the parishes of the diocese of Meath 1867-1944, 325-6.
(3) Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 405, state that he was the contractor; however an advertisement in the Drogheda Argus(?) in Jun 1839, seeking tenders for mason work at the new church, invites builders to apply to the parish priest or else to Mr Hammond of James's Street.
(4) Jones transcripts from Thom's directories.
(5) 940http://www.jbhall.freeservers.com/1837_drogheda_householders.htm (2008).
(6) Drogheda Argus, 12 Jul 1845.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for HAMMOND, THOMAS *

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1833
Nature: '...Thomas Hammond aedificavit AD 1833'.
Refs: E.McP files, citing ?inscription on house.