Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Civil engineer and architect, of Limerick. William Jeremiah Hall, a son of Ambrose Hall of Thomas Street Limerick,(1) was born on 17 July 1851, and in 1867 was articled to JOHN LONG JOHN LONG , to whom he acted as assistant engineer in 1868 and part of 1870-71 during the construction of the Limerick Graving Dock. He studied at Queen's University, Cork, from 1870-1873(2) and obtained the diploma of Civil Engineer in June 1873 and the degree of BE in October. He was also awarded the triple first prize in engineering.

In December 1873 Hall became assistant to WILLIAM BARRINGTON[2] WILLIAM BARRINGTON[2] , remaining with him for three years, during which time he superintended the Mulkear drainage works, and made contract-surveys and plans for the Limerick & Kerry Railway. He also undertook private work. In January 1877 he was appointed Harbour Engineer at Limerick. He was also consulting engineer to the Limerick Waterworks between October 1880 and April 1883, when the works were sold to Limerick Corporation.

Hall died on 21 May 1890 of typhoid fever, contracted while engaged in superintending the rebuilding of the wall of the Limerick Floating Dock. According to his obituary in Minutes and Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, he 'made himself prominent in social and charitable entertainments, his good-humoured wit, combined with good taste, rendering his services always acceptable'.(3)

ICEI: elected associate, November 1875, having been proposed by WILLIAM SIDNEY COX. WILLIAM SIDNEY COX.
Inst.CE: elected associate member 2 Feb 1886.

Addresses:(4) 12 Newenham Street, <=1875->=1877; 18 Lower Hartstonge Street, 1879-1886.



All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from ICEI membership applications, II, 36, and from the obituary of Hall in Min.Proc.Inst.CE 102 (1889-90, Pt.1), 334-5.

Information from College Archives, University College Cork.
According to the College Archives, University College Cork, Hall matriculated 1868-69, registered for first year engineering in 1868-69 and 1869-1870, for second year engineering 1871-72 and for third year engineering, 1872-73.
(3) Tributes from Limerick Council were published in the Limerick Chronicle, 22 May 1890. k
From Bassett's Limerick directories for 1877, 1879, 1880 and 1884, and Francis Guy's Directory of Munster (1886).

Author Title Date Details
Hall, William Jeremiah 'On the new steel dock gates of Limerick Floating Dock'' 1889 Min.Proc.Inst.CE 97 (1888-89, pt. 3), 335.
Hall, William Jeremiah 'On the failure of the Limerick Dock walls and the methods adopted for reconstruction and repair' 1891 Min.Proc.Inst. CE 103 (1890-91, pt. 1), 257.