Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

County surveyor for Cos. Mayo, 1834-1836, and Offaly, 1836-1855. Thomas Barclay was appointed county surveyor for Co. Mayo in 1834.(1) In April 1836 he was transferred to Co. Offaly, where he remained until his death. He collapsed and died suddenly at Portarlington on 24 May 1855, leaving a large family.(2)

ICEI:  founding member, 1835.(3)

Address: Gayfield, Tullamore, 1839-1855.(4)


All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 91-92, which gives the fullest account of Barclay's career..

(1) Dublin Evening Post, 20 May 1834.
(2) King's Co. Chronicle. 30 May 1855 (B.O'D.); B 13, 2 Jun 1855, 264.
(3)   Photocopy of transcript of minutes of first meeting of Engineers' Society of Ireland, 6 Aug 1835, in IAA, Jones File F73.
(4) Jones transcripts from Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's directories; Parliamentary Papers 1836(in 527)xii,293 and 1840(291)xlviii,165 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).