- Born: 1865/66 Died: 1934
Architect, surveyor and civil engineer of Coleraine, Co. Derry. Maxwell Given, who, according to the 1911 census, was born in Co. Derry in 1865 or 1866, worked in partnership with his brother WILLIAM JAMES GIVEN from an address in The Diamond, Coleraine, from 1892 onwards.(1) In 1900 he is described as the town surveyor for Portrush Urban District Council.(2) He acted for some years as superintendent for the Lower Bann Navigation Trustees. On the death of W.J. Given in 1923, he carried on the firm of W. & M. GIVEN which he and his brother had founded. In 1924 or 1925 he took MALCOLM MCQUIGG into partnership; McQuigg, who was only twenty, had just completed his apprenticeship. Given died in 1934.(3) At the time of the 1911 census he had been married to his wife, Mary Margretta, for eleven years but had no children. The practice was carried on by McQuigg.
RSAI: elected member 25 Apr 1905, proposed by SAMUEL KERR KIRKER. (4)
Addresses: Work: The Diamond, Coleraine, 1892 until death. Home: 3 Ardbana Terrace, Coleraine, 1905;(5) Castleroe, Coleraine, 1934.
See WORKS; see also works of W. & M. GIVEN.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the brief obituary of Given in IB 76, 24 Feb 1934, 148.
(1) Derry Almanac 1892-1900.
(2) IB 42, 15 Jan 1900, 245.
(3) )Obituary of McQuigg in RSUA Year Book (1976), 22.
(4) JRSAI 35 (1905), 190.
(5) See note 4, above.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for GIVEN, MAXWELL
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, PORTRUSH, PUBLIC LAVATORIES|
|Nature:||For Portrush UDC.|
|Refs:||IB 42, 15 Jan 1900, 245|