Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carpenter and builder, of Dublin. John Alford was admitted a freeman of the city of Dublin as a member of the Corporation of Carpenters and as the son of a freeman at Michaelmas, 1816.(1)   His name appears on a list of Dublin master carpenters and builders compiled in March 1834.(2)  He had presumably died by 1853, when only a 'Mrs Alford' is named at his premises in Whitefriar Street.

Addresses: 7 Whitefriar street, 1827-29;(1,2,3); 51 Townsend Street, 1830-1836; 7 Whitefriar Street, 1844-1847.


All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the following directories: Wilson's Dublin Directory, 1827-1836; Post Office Directory 1844,1853; Pettigrew and Oulton's Dublin Almanac 1847.

(1) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 7.
(2) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31;  this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.