Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carpenter and builder, of Dublin. Walter Doolin [1], who was born on 14 August 1779, was the father of ROBERT DOOLIN ROBERT DOOLIN , WILLIAM POWEL DOOLIN  WILLIAM POWEL DOOLIN and WALTER DOOLIN [2]  WALTER DOOLIN [2] and grandfather of WALTER GLYNN DOOLIN WALTER GLYNN DOOLIN . He is listed in Wilson's Dublin Directory at 16 Temple Bar in 1810-14, at Marlborough Street in 1815 and at 15 Bachelor's walk from 1824-37. In the Post Office Annual Directory for 1839 his address is given as 33 Westland Row.(1) By 1842 he had built four houses in Westland Row(2) and was living in one of them, no. 22. Although he describes himself in April 1842 as 'well able to bussel and look after business as ever', he appears to have died not very long afterwards. He is not mentioned in the Post Office Annual Directory for 1844, in which William P. Doolin is listed as a carpenter and builder at 21 Westland Row; in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac for 1847 William and Walter Doolin, builders, are at nos. 22 and 23, while in Shaw's Dublin Pictorial Guide and Directory for 1850, no. 22 is occupied by Mrs. C. Doolin.

Doolin was a subscriber to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (Dublin, 1819).



All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the letter from Walter Doolin, 22 Westland Row, Dublin, to Robert Doolin, 25 Apr 1842, reproduced in Gearoid Crookes, 'The Career and Architectural Works of Walter G. Doolin (1850-1902)', unpublished M.A. thesis, Univerity College Dublin, 1987 (copy in IAA).

(1) Perhaps a misprint for no. 22, as there is no no. 33 in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac for 1841.
(2) One of them is described by Doolin as 'the corner one next to Park Street'. Pettigrew & Oulton's directories for 1841 and 1847 show that the street was entirely renumbered and apparently largely rebuilt in the intervening years.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for DOOLIN, WALTER [1] *

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1825
Nature: Re-erection of 18th cent. Sacred Heart and Blessed Virgin altars from Liffey Street chapel in ambulatory of Pro-Cathedral in accordance with plan by George Papworth.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 129-130.