- Born: - Died: -
Architect or architectural draughtsman, of Armagh and Dublin. Little is known about Thomas Cunningham, but all the following scattered references are probably to the same person. A Thomas Cunningham won one of two first class premiums in the Dublin Society's School of Drawing and Architecture in 1788 and 1789 and a premium for ornament in 1791.(1) He appears at some stage to have been associated with RICHARD JOHNSTON ,.(2) The fact that he identifies himself as an architect in Armagh when subscribing in 1793 and 1794 to the Anthologia Hibernica, further suggests a connection with the Johnstons, who were an Armagh family.
A finely-drawn set of designs for St Andrew's Church, Dublin, signed Thomas Cunningham, is in the Irish Architectural Archive.(3) Two elevations of Leinster House, both signed and dated 'T. Cunningham Del. 1790', in the collection of Desmond Guinness, and an elevation dating from circa 1792 of a quadrant of the proposed Royal Circus, Dublin, among the Wide Street Commissioners maps,(3) are of a similarly high standard of draughtsmanship.
(1) Royal Dublin Society Proceedings.
(2) Information from Patrick Pilkington, Coole, Co. Westmeath, Sep 2017, citing dinner diary of Rev. John Robert Scott, 19 Feb 1794, in Scott papers, PRO Kew, TS11/303-315.
(3) See David J. Griffin & Simon Lincoln, Drawings from the Irish Architectural Archive(1993), 42,43; see also Murray Collection Catalogue, 235.
(3) Dublin City Archives, Wide Streets Commissioners Maps, No. 280; see also E.McParland, 'The Wide Streets Commissioners: their importance for Dublin architecture in the late l8th - early 10th century', BIGS 15 (Jan-Mar 1972), 23.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for CUNNINGHAM, THOMAS
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ROYAL CIRCUS (PROPOSED)|
|Nature:||Elevation of quadrant signed 'T. Cunningham'.|
|Refs:||Dublin City Archives, Wide Streets Commissioners Maps, no. 280.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST ANDREW'S STREET, ST ANDREW'S CHURCH (CI, 2ND)|
|Nature:||Drawings by T. Cunningham, perhaps his own design or perhaps as draughtsman for F. Johnston?|
|Refs:||Drawings on loan to IAA from Select Vestry of St Andrew's Church, Acc. 92/111.1-4 (repr. David J. Griffin & Simon Lincoln, Drawings from the Irish Architectural Archive(1993), 42,43); see also Murray Collection Catalogue, 235.|