ARMSTRONG, WILLIAM 
- Born: 1781? Died: 1861c
Surveyor and engineer, of Dublin and Roxborough, Co. Armagh. William Armstrong is variously described in the directories as a land surveyor, civil engineer, and land valuator. He is probably the 'W. Armstrong, Esq. Armagh' who subscribed to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion(Dublin, 1819). He subsequently had various addresses in Dublin though retaining his connections with Co. Armagh. In February 1845 he wrote to the Armagh Guardian from Dominick Street, Dublin, pointing out that he had been asked to project a line of road from Moy Bridge to Portadown, Co. Armagh, circa 1831, but that his plan had not been carried out, to the detriment of the cess-payers of the county.(1) He was elected a member of the Royal Irish Academy in 1837.(2) He was an assistant to Sir Charles Coote. His own pupils and assistants included Philip Clare and JOHN THOMAS NOBLE .
The Irish Architectural Archive holds on temporary loan (2005) a volume of 'Maps of the Estate of the Rt. Hon. Richard Viscount Powerscourt in the County of Wicklow' surveyed by William Armstrong in 1816.
Addresses:(3) 33 Clarendon Street, 1819-1821 (and English Street, Armagh, 1820); 33 Charlemont Street Lower, 1821-1841 ('and Roxborough, Newtown Hamilton', 1839) 5 Dominick Street Lower, 1844-1852; 25 Henry Street, 1853->=1857.
See also WILLIAM ARMSTRONG .
All information in this entry not otherwisea accounted for is from Sarah Bendall, ed., Dictionary of Land Surveyors and Local Map-Makers of Great Britain and Ireland 1530-1850 (2nd edition, 1997), II, 13. For further information aboaut Armstrong's work, see J.H. Andrews, Plantation Acres (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1985), 251,382-5,397,440,443.
(1) Armagh Guardian, 4 Feb 1845.
(2) Thom's Directory 1847, 278.
(3) From Wilson's, Pettigrew & Oulton's, Post Office and Thom's directories.