ANDERSON, NICHOLAS *
- Born: - Died: -
Builder and slater, of 12 Newmarket, Coombe, Dublin, listed as such in Wilson's Dublin Directory for 1837 and in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac for 1841.
By 1844 the name has changed to 'Nicholas J. Anderson', who was probably a son. Under his ownership the business grew steadily: by 1847, now described as 'slate and tile stores', it had moved to 66 & 67 Great Brunswick Street, expanding to include 53 and 54 Sandwith Street by 1853. In Thom's directory for 1863 it is described as 'builder and timber merchant, slate and tile yard, sawing, planing and moulding mills' and had acquired additional premises at 28½ Sir John Rogerson's Quay. It has disappeared from the directories by the mid-1870s. The Jersey census for 1881 lists a Nicholas J. Anderson, a sixty-seven-year-old retired merchant from Dublin, living with his wife and son at La Providence, St Lawrence.(1)
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Wilson's, Post Office, Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's directories.