Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer, of Dublin. Edgar Anderson, a son of William Anderson, managing director of the Dublin United Tramway Co., was born in Co. Dublin circa 1883 and studied engineering at Trinity College, Dublin, where he made a special study of electrical engineering. After graduating BAI in 1903,(1) he became a pupil of Robert Coey, locomotive engineer of the Great Southern & Western Railway, from February to August 1904. In January 1905 he entered into a short-lived partnership with PATRICK HARNETT MCCARTHY PATRICK HARNETT MCCARTHY , practising as MCCARTHY & MCCARTHY & amp; ANDERSON  ANDERSON from an office at 39 Westmoreland Street. The partnership had been dissolved by the end of 1906, after which Anderson practised independently. No structural work by him is recorded in the Irish Builder after the dissolution of the partnership.   He describes himself in the 1911 census as 'Civil Engineer and director of public companies'.   By this time he was newly married to a wife named Murielle and had a baby son, William.   He died in December 1959.(2)



ICEI:(3) elected associate member, 1905; still an associate member in 1940 but not in 1942.



Address: Glenavon, Merrion Road, Dublin, 1905.



For works, see MCCARTHY & MCCARTHY & amp; ANDERSON. ANDERSON.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from ICEI membership applications, III, 213, from the brief biography in IB 47, 14 Jan 1905, 8, which is illustrated with a portrait photograph, and from the 1911 census.

(1) R.C. Cox, compiler, Trinity College School of Engineering: 'Graduates' in Engineering 1843-1992 (1993), unpaginated.
(2) Irish Times, 9 Dec 1959.
(3) From ICEI lists of members.