County surveyor for the West Riding of Co. Cork, 1855-1898. Nathaniel Jackson, who was born circa 1826, is listed as a draughtsman in the Board of Works in Thom's directories for the years 1850 to 1853. He may be the 'N. Jackson' who designed alterations to the Society of Antient Concerts Hall in Great Brunswick Street, Dublin, in 1850 and 1853. In March 1855 he was appointed county surveyor for the West Riding of Cork, where he built some of the earliest concrete bridges in Ireland He was also architect and surveyor to the Rushbrooke Estate in Cobh, which, according to his obituary in the Cork Examiner, was 'practically rebuilt under his immediate supervision' during the late 1880s and 1890s. He retired from the county surveyorship in 1898 and died on 11 February 1890, leaving a widow, Elizabeth, whom he had married in May 1859 at Desercreat church, Co. Tyrone His pupils and assistants included DOMINICK J. COAKLEY.
Association of Municipal & County Engineers: member from 1890 or earlier until 1898.
RIAI: raised from member to fellow, 3 Jan 1853; no longer a member by 1870.
Addresses: Work: 13 South Mall, Cork, 1863; 69 South Mall, Cork, 1867; also Bandon, Co. Cork.
Home: 2 West View, Boreenmanna Road, Cork, <=1863->=1867; 1 Gordon Villas, Monkstown, Co. Cork, at time of death.
See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituary of Jackson in Cork Examiner, 24 Feb 1900 (B.O'D.).
He was in his seventy-third year in July 1898 (Cork Constitution, 12 Jul 1898, ref. from Brendan O'Donoghue).
B 8, 24 Aug 1850, 404; 11, 19 Mar 1853, 183.
Cork Constitution, 30 May 1898 (refernece from Brendan O'Donoghue).
TICEI 32 (1876), 102-3 (reference from Brendan O'Donoghue).
B.O'D., citing summary of will.
Lists of members in Proc.Proc. Institution of Municipal and County Englineers.
RIAI council meeting minutes, 27 Nov 1852, 107; special general meeting minutes, 3 Jan 1853, 110.
Laing's Cork Mercantile Directory (1863) and Henry & Coghlan's General Directory of Cork (1867) on .