Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer, of Ennis, Co. Clare. According to the 1911 census, William Henry Allen was born in Co. Wexford in 1871 or 1872.  He studied for five years at the Royal College of Science, and was awarded a Diploma in Engineering.(1). He had moved to Ennis by 1902. At the time of the 1911 census, he had been married for less than a year and had no children.  From 1934(2) or earlier until 1940(3) or later, he was architect to the Church of Ireland dioceses of Killaloe West and Kilfenora.

ICEI: elected associate, 1896.

Addresses: 9 Brighton Terrace, Sandycove Road, Co. Dublin, 1896; 31 Main Street, Gorey, Co. Wexford, 1898; Church Place, Ennis, 1902; The Terrace, Ennis, 1903;  2 Bank Place, Ennis, 1911;  The Terrace, Ennis,1913;(4)  Green Lawn, Ennis, <=1918->=1926.(5)

See WORKS.



References

All information not otherwise accounted for is from ICEI membership lists.

(1) ICEI membership applications, III, 59.
(2) Irish Church Directory (1932), 143.
(3) Irish Church Directory (1940), 143.
(4) Freeman's Journal, 18 Dec 1913.
(5) IB 68, 10 Jul 1926, 549


5 work entries listed in chronological order for ALLEN, WILLIAM HENRY


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. CLARE, KILLALOE, HOUSE
Date: 1911
Nature: New
Refs: IA & C 1, 29 Apr 1911, 186

Building: CO. CLARE, ENNIS, DISPENSARY
Date: 1913
Nature: New tuberculosis dispensary at old militia barracks for Co. Clare Insurance Committee of Management.
Tenders invited, Dec 1913.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 18 Dec 1913.

Building: CO. CLARE, ENNIS, HOSPITAL?
Date: 1914
Nature: Pavilion, matron's house, laundry annexe
Refs: IB 56, 10 Oct 1914, 578

Building: CO. CLARE, BALLYMALLEY, SANATORIUM
Date: 1915
Nature: New sanatorium, Site acquired, 1911, and tenders invited, 1915.
Refs: IB 53, 8 Jul 1911, 461; IB 57, 19 Jun 1915, 286; B 73, 11 Jun 1915, 555

Building: CO. CLARE, MILTOWN MALBAY, SPANISH POINT, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, KILFARBOY PARISH)
Date: 1926-27
Nature: New church to replace church of 1804 destroyed by arson in 1922. Consecrated Aug 1927.
Refs: IB 68, 10 Jul 1926, 549; Adrian Hewson, ed., Inspiring Stones: a history of the Church of Ireland Dioceses of Limerick, Ardfert, Aghadoe, Killaloe, Kilfenora, Clonfert, Kilmacduagh & Emly (1995), 5105-6(illus.);  exterior illus. in Clergy of Killaloe, Kilfenora, Clonfert and Kilmacduagh (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2010)