Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

English architectural partnership of Matthew Ellison Hadfield and GEORGE GOLDIE GEORGE GOLDIE , practising in Sheffield and London between 1858 and 1860. Hadfield and Goldie had previously practised with John Gray Weightman of Sheffield as Weightman, Hadfield & Goldie.

See WORKS, which includes works initiated while Hadfield & Goldie were still in partnership with Weightman. See also GOLDIE & GOLDIE & amp; CHILD  CHILD and GEORGE GOLDIE. GEORGE GOLDIE.




11 work entries listed in chronological order for HADFIELD & GOLDIE #


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. CORK, BANDON, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1856-1861
Nature: New church (designed by Goldie while with Weightman, Hadfield & Goldie?) in Geometrical Decorated style, consisting of have and aisles, transepts, chancel with apse, tower at S angle of transept and chancel, sacristy with chamber over, and four porches.  For Canon Jeremiah O'Brien, PP 1853-1878. Mallow and Cork limestoneFS laid St Patrick's Day, 1856. Consecrated 9 Jun 1861. Resident clerk of works: Baker. Contractors: Mahoney and Hickey.  (Steps added 1883-1884. Tower not built until 1929).
Refs: Design exh. Exhibition of Art and Art Manufactures, Dublin, 1861, no. 327, and Dublin International Exhibition, 1865, no. 143 (IALE, I, 275);  Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 21 (Aug 1858), 252 (illus. in issue for Jun 1858, Pl. 19); 22 (Apr 1859), 107;   B 17, 2 Apr 1859, 230;  DB 3, 15 Jun 1861, 536; 7, 15 Jun 1865, 147; Charles Eastlake, A History of the Gothic Revival (1872), 392-93; D.J. O'Donoghue, Historty of Bandon (1970), ?.

Building: CO. MAYO, CHARLESTOWN, CHURCH OF ST JAMES (RC)
Date: 1856-58
Nature: New church, 103 x 53 ft. FS laid 25 Jul 1856?. Dedicated 3 Nov 1858.  Builder: William Doolin. Stained glass windows representing the Virgin, St Patrick, St Bridget and St Charles Borromeo. (Church attr. to Hadfield by Scott Richardson, who also names church as St James the Apostle)
Refs: Information re FS from Marion Roddy, Charlestown Heritage Survey, in letter of 27 Jan 1997; B 16, 27 Mar 1858, 214; DB 2, 1 Sep 1860, 324; Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland, typescript copy of doctoral dissertation, Yale University, 1970, II, 487; Liam Swords, Achonry and its churches (Strasbourg: Éditions du Signe, 2007), 60(illus.).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CIRCULAR ROAD NORTH (PHIBSBOROUGH), CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC)
Date: 1857-65
Nature: Important adds. (transept, chancel, sacristy, cloister & series of chapels). Builder: Walter Doolin, Dublin. Interior view exh. by Goldie at Architectural Exhibition, London, Apr-Jun 1863.
Refs: Designs exh. RA 1860 (no. 697), Architectural Exhibition, London (no. 697), Exhibition of Fine and Ornamental Arts, Dublin, 1861 (no. 327), Dublin International Exhibition of Arts and Manufactures, 1865 (nos. 150,173);  Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 21 (Feb 1858), 68; 23, (Jul 1860), 189; 26 (Jun 1863), 178;   B 16, 27 Mar 1858, 214; 18, 26 May,25 Aug 1860, 327,542; 26, 26 Dec 1868, 940; DB 3, 15 Jun 1861, 536; 4, 15 Sep,1 Nov 1862, 238,283; 7, 1 Feb,1 May 1865, 39,118; IB 10, 15 Nov,1,15 Dec 1868, 286,289,294,303,305; 12, 1 Apr 1870, 70; IB Jubilee no, 1909, 9; B 24, 22 Dec 1866, 940;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 276-278.

Building: CO. MAYO, BALLAGHADERREEN, CATHEDRAL OF THE ANNUNCIATION & ST NATHY (RC, ACHONRY DIOCESE)
Date: 1858-1860
Nature: New cathedral in Early English style. 'Ir was commenced some three or four years ago, and after laying the basement course, the works were suspended under the direction of the above named firm [Weightman, Hadfield & Goldie].  The plan consists of a spacious nave and aisles, chancel, side chapels, western tower and sacristy. The proportions of these various portions were already determined before Messrs. Weightman and Co. commenced operations, and they have been in consequence very much crippled in carrying out their design.' (Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal). Consecrated 3 Nov 1860. Contractor: Mssrs. Doolin, Westland Row, Dublin. Clerk of Works: Charles Barker. Local blue limestone from quarries on estate of Lord Dillon, who also presented site. Cost: £5,000. High altar by Henry Lane, Dublin.
Refs: Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 19 (Oct 1856), 325 (illus., Pl. XXIX); B 16, 27 Mar 1858, 214; DB 2, 1 Sep,1 Dec 1860, 327,380;  Liam Swords, Achonry and its churches (Strasbourg: Éditions du Signe, 2007), 41-43(illus.).

Building: CO. CORK, FARRAN (AGLISH), CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC) & PRESBYTERY
Date: 1858-59
Nature: New church, 86 ft x 45 ft, consisting of nave, aisle and chancel with two porches, one of which to function as baptistry. New presbytery to be attached to church.  Foundation stone laid 7 Feb 1859.  Contractor: John Crean.
Refs: Cork Examiner, 17 Dec 1858, 9 Feb 1859 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Mar 2011)..

Building: CO. CORK, BANDON, PRESENTATION CONVENT
Date: 1858a
Nature: '...the same architects [H & G] have just completed a small early Geometrical chapel...for the Religious of the Presentation order'.
Refs: Civil Engineer & Architect's Journal 21 (Aug 1858), 252.

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SS. PETER & PAUL PLACE, CHURCH OF SS. PETER & PAUL (RC)
Date: 1859
Nature: Competition entrants.
Refs: DB 1, 1 May 1859, 59-60;  B 17, 2,9 Apr 1859, 241,258;  Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 23, 1 May 1860, 23.

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SUNDAYS WELL ROAD, CHURCH OF ST VINCENT DE PAUL (RC)
Date: 1859
Nature: Design for memorial altar and reredos exhibited at Architectural Exhibition, London, 1859. (Design given to Goldie in Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal.)
Refs: B 17, 2 Apr 1859, 230;  Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 22 (Jun 1859), 189.

Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, BROOK STREET, LORETO CONVENT & SCHOOLS
Date: 1859-1860
Nature: New convent. 'near the station of the Londonderry & Enniskillen Railway'; Progressing rapidly in Sep 1859 (supervising? architect J.Neville).  Opened13 Sep. Builder: 'Wallis Dorlin, of Dublin'.[i.e. Walter Doolin]. Cost: circa £2,500.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Sep 1859, 115;  B 18, 25 Aug 1860, 542; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979) 446

Building: CO. DONEGAL, LETTERKENNY, LORETO CONVENT
Date: 1860-61
Nature: New buildings, including chapel, school-rooms and dormitory; façade terminated by square tower; inaugurated in summer of 1861. Cost £1,600
Refs: B 18, 25 Aug 1860, 542; 19, 24 Aug 1861, 585; DB 2, 1 Dec 1860, 380; 3, 15 Aug 1861, 598; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 344

Building: CO. MAYO, ?, CHURCH (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Church, 'of an identical structure' to church of St Charles Borromeo, Charlestown, built 'at some few miles distance in the same county' (does this mean Ballaghaderreen Cathedral?)
Refs: DB 2, 1 Sep 1860, 324