Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Builder and architect. James Keyes Fahie was born in 1809. In 1831 he was admitted to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture and was awarded one of nine unclassed premiums in March 1832 and one of seven in December of the same year.(1) After working in Tipperary in the 1830s and 1840s, he moved during the 1850s to the United States, to which his brother Arthur had already emigrated. He eventually returned to Ireland and settled in Dublin, where he joined his second son, JAMES ANGELO FAHIE JAMES ANGELO FAHIE , in practice. 'James K. Fahie and Son, architects and engineers' first appear in Thom's and the Post Office directories in 1874 with an address at 23 Leinster Square, Rathmines; the following year 'J.K. Fahie and Son, architects, surveyors, and patent agents, agents to London, Liverpool and Globe Insurance Company' are listed at 2 Nassau Street. James Fahie died in Dublin in 1899. He was the author of several books on patent law.

The eldest of Fahie's four sons, WILLIAM JOSEPH FAHIE WILLIAM JOSEPH FAHIE , was a government engineer in India, and his third son, John Joseph, was an electrical engineer of note.(2)

Addresses: Work: 2 Nassau Street, 1875-1885; 10 Leinster Street, 1887.
Home: 23 Leinster Square, Rathmines, <=1874->=1883.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from a letter to E. McParland from Fahie's granddaughter, Norah Fahie, 47 Ailesbury Road, Dublin, 15 Jan 1973, and from Thom's directories or Jones's transcripts from same.

(1) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Design admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(2) See E.S. Whitehead, A Short account of the life and works of John Joseph Fahie, Liverpool University Press, 1939.


7 work entries listed in chronological order for FAHIE, JAMES KEYES


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. TIPPERARY, TIPPERARY, ST MICHAEL'S STREET, COURT HOUSE
Date: 1839ca
Nature: JKF contractor for same.
Refs: NA/SPO CSORP 1839/75-2989 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, TIPPERARY, NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1842
Nature: Bears datestone 'J.K. Fahie Architect A.D. 1842'. But cf. Charles F. Anderson.
Refs: Information from E.McP.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, TIPPERARY, MONUMENT TO FRANCIS & THOMAS MATHEW
Date: 1845
Nature: To memory of brothersof Fr. Theobald Mathew, 'just executed' to designs of JKF.
Refs: B 3, 16 Aug 1845, 395

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, TIPPERARY, RAILWAY STATION
Date: 1848
Nature: For Waterford & Limerick Railway.
Refs: Drawing exh. Cashel Union Industrial and Art Exhibition, 1864, no. 37 (IALE, I, 226); photograph of drawing or print signed 'Jas K. Fahie Tipy June 15th 1848' in collection of JKF's grand-daughter, Miss N. Fahie, in 1971-2 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, SOLOHEAD, CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (RC)
Date: 1880
Nature: Railing with grand entrance gates and side wickets 'of elaborate and handsome design' just erected. Designed by 'J.K. Fahie & Son. Nassau Street'.
Refs: IB 22, 1 Jan 1880, 4

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PALMERSTON ROAD (RATHMINES), HOUSES (002)
Date: 1880
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of 2 houses by Mssrs. J.K. Fahie & Son, Nassau Street.
Refs: IB 22, 1 Mar 1880, 72

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WINDSOR ROAD (RATHMINES), HOUSES (002)
Date: 1880
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of 2 houses by Mssrs. J.K. Fahie & Son, Nassau Street.
Refs: IB 22, 1 Mar 1880, 72