- Born: - Died: -
Architect and engineer, of Derry. Hume Babington was born in 1848, a younger son of the Rev. Hume Babington, rector of Moviddy, Co. Cork, by Esther, daughter of Richard Nettles.(1) He obtained the Licentiate in Civil Engineering from Trinity College, Dublin, in 1869.(2) He was living in Belfast in 1878, when he became master of Masonic Lodge 51.(3) From 1880 onwards he practised as an architect and civil engineer in Derry in partnership with THOMAS TURNER . Turner, who remained based in Belfast, moved to Dublin in 1883 and died in 1891, but the partnership of Turner & Babington continued to be listed in the Derry Almanac until 1892. Babington also advertised in the Derry Almanac as a surveyor and house agent.
Babington disappears from the Derry Almanac after 1892. He inherited a country estate, Creevagh House, Co. Derry, and was a JP for Cos. Armagh and Derry. He died on 6 June 1925.(4) He was married to Hester (née Watt) and had two sons and a daughter.(5) His pupils and assistants included WILLIAM EDWARD PINKERTON.
Addresses: Work: 6 Pump St, Derry, 1880-1889; 20 London Street, 1891-1892.
Home: Creevagh House, Co. Derry, 1902.
See WORKS. See also works of THOMAS TURNER and ROBERT ECCLES BUCHANAN.
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from the Derry Almanac.
(1) E. Walford, County Families of the United Kingdom (1902), 37.
(2) R.C. Cox, compiler, Trinity College School of Engineering: 'Graduates' in Engineering 1843-1992 (1993), unpaginated.
(3) GLFI archives; note on return for 1878 reads: '26 July 1876 - 52. Ireland (Rejoined)'.
(4) Information from www.familysearch.org.
(5) See note 4, above.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for BABINGTON, HUME
|Building:||CO. DERRY, DERRY, LONDON STREET, SYNOD HALL (CI)|
|Nature:||Sybnod assembles in new and commodious synod hall, 23 Oct 1879. Total cost to amount to £1,950. Architect gave services gratuitously.
Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 21, no. 249, 1 Dec 1879, supplement, p.5-6.
|Building:||CO. DONEGAL, RATHMULLEN, CHURCH OF ST COLUMB (CI, KILLYGARVAN PARISH)|
|Nature:||Renovation & enlargement, with R.E. Buchanan. Contractor: Michael Deeny, Rathmullen.|
|Refs:||IB 29, 15 Oct 1887, 281; 31, 1 Nov 1889, 267; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 474-475|