Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect and civil engineer. Louis Deane was born on 31 December 1858,(1) a son of THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE  THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE and younger brother of THOMAS MANLY DEANE THOMAS MANLY DEANE . He was educated at Cheltenham College and served his apprenticeship with his father. After working from 1876 to 1879(2) in the office of JOHN LANYON  JOHN LANYON in Belfast, in 1883 he was appointed an inspector under the Board of Public Works. Three years later, in 1886, he was appointed an inspector under the Local Government Board, 'an appointment which brought him into contact with all sorts and conditions of persons in many parts of Ireland; his tact, urbanity, and consideration making him persona grata with all those who had professional or official dealings with him'. The duties of an inspector included the holding of public enquiries: Deane was placed in charge of enquiries at Clontarf in 1897,(3) at Mallow and North Wexford in 1900,(4) and at Naas in 1905.(5) In 1910 he succeeded RICHARD O'BRIEN SMYTH  RICHARD O'BRIEN SMYTH as senior inspector of the Board's architects' department.(6) He died circa 1928.

Two measured drawings by Deane of Quin Abbey, Co. Clare, are in the collection of the Church of Ireland Training College, Rathmines.

ICEI: elected member 3 April 1889;(7) council member, 1899;(8) elected fellow, 2 May 1911.(9)
RIAI: elected member, April 1883;(10) raised to fellow during session 1915-16;(11) resigned during session 1924-5 and was elected honorary member.(12)
RSAI: fellow, 1911.

Addresses:(13) Work: Lincoln Place, Dublin, 1889(14)-1907.
Home: Dorset Lodge, Killiney, 1907; 96 Pembroke Road, 1915.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the biography of Deane in IB 54, 20 Jan 1912, 35. A photograph of Deane is in the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society Journal 21 (Oct-Dec 1915), facing p.185.

(1)
Jones, source not given.
(2)
ICEI membership applications, III, 1.
(3)
Re proposed additions to the town hall, IB 39, 15 Oct 1897, 198.
(4)
Re labourers' cottage schemes, IB 42, 15 Jun 1900, 391.
(5)
Re the Urban Council's application for a loan for improvements to the town hall, IB 47, 8 Apr 1905, 242.
(6)
IB 52, 20 Aug 1910, 532.
(7)
TICEI 20 (188-1890), 115.
(8)
TICEI 28, list of officers.
(9)
TICEI 41, 197.
(10)
RIAI council meeting minutes, 7 Apr 1883, 226.; IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile).
(11)
JRIAI (1916), 9.
(12)
JRIAI (1925), 7.
(13)
From Thom's directories unless otherwise attributed.
(14)
See note 2, above.